How To Unlock IPhone With Apple Watch
Unless you have the Face ID with a Mask feature on your iPhone, the face ID doesn’t recognize your face when you are wearing a mask. But for iPhones without such a feature, you can still set up the Apple Watch to unlock your iPhone.
But, if are running an older version, specifically between 14.5 and 15.4, you still have a similar feature called “Unlock with Apple Watch” that seamlessly unlocks the iPhone using an Apple Watch.
- All the iPhone models above iPhone X and running on iOS 14.5 or newer
- Apple Watch Series 3 or newer running on watchOS 7.4 or above
- The Apple Watch is paired with your iPhone.
- You have previously set up and enabled the Face ID.
Step 1: Configure Apple Watch Settings on the iPhone
To unlock the iPhone with Apple Watch, you must enable the setting called “Unlock with iPhone”. Along with it, you must also have a passcode on the watch.
- Press the crown button (knob) on your Apple Watch to display the home screen.
- Tap to open the Settings app.
- Swipe down and tap on Passcode.
- Then, tap Turn Passcode On. If you already have a passcode set up on your Apple Watch, you will see Turn Passcode Off. In that case, skip to the next step.
- Scroll down and tap to toggle on the button next to Unlock with iPhone.
- Also, enable the Wrist detection method.
- Additionally, turn on Simple Passcode to unlock your Apple Watch with a four-digit PIN.
Step 2: Enable Unlock Setting on Your iPhone
After configuring essential settings in the Apple Watch, you need to enable a setting on your iPhone. However, make sure the watch is turned on and unlocked to access the setting.
- Open the Settings app.
- Select Face ID & Passcode. Enter the iPhone password if prompted.
- Now, scroll down and toggle on the button under the Unlock with Apple Watch section.
- On the next prompt, select Turn On to confirm.
Step 3: Turn On Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
Make sure you turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on both devices. You can enable them from their Settings app. Then, proceed to the next step.
Step 4: Glance at the iPhone
Now, while you have the watch unlocked on your wrist, tap on the iPhone screen with a quick look at its camera and it should unlock immediately. Also, you can notice a slight vibration on your Apple Watch notifying you that your iPhone has been unlocked and with the option to lock the iPhone again.